A majority of people suffer from back pain all over the world and they use different ways to cure back pain and look for solutions that can help them to relieve their back pain.
You might have heard of many treatments, but sleeping on the floor for back pain has emerged as the most effective solution today.
In most Asian countries, sleeping on the floor for back pain is generally tried as a conventional method of treatment and you can get it away from sleeping on the comfy bed supported by pillows and cushions.
So, in the western countries of the world, there is a developed perception among people that sleeping on the hard floor can be useful.
For some people, it helps to treat back pain, whereas it proves to be comfortable for others.
There are anecdotal benefits which are presumed but not supported by research; however, we are going to dig out more about the advantages of sleeping on the floor in this article.
Does Sleeping On The Floor For Back Pain Good For Your Health?
Back pain can be caused due to several reasons like the poor posture of the body, sleeplessness, different sleeping positions, medical conditions like sciatica, spinal disorders and due to in a state of pregnancy.
In this article, we will explain the various advantages of sleeping on the floor, its impact on your back as well as views of experts on sleeping on the floor.
Does Sleeping on the Floor Help to Treat Back Pain?
If you ask sleeping on the floor help to treat back pain, then there are no scientific findings that support this claim.
However, this is an old remedy believed to work for most of the people and is applied by a large majority of people all over the world with severe back pain.
It is good to try for the people who experience constant back pain and don’t get any relief from any other treatment to relieve their back pain.
It is imperative to mention here that sleeping on the floor help people to improve their back pain and keep the spine straight which otherwise would cause pain to people.
So, lying straight on the back on the floor soothes back pain and help to relieve the pain for the time being.
Most of the health experts and doctors recommend sleeping on a firm surface because it keeps the spine natural position and aligns the joint of the body with the spine resulting in the optimal functioning of the body and muscles.
Conditions for Sleeping On the Floor for Back Pain
There are conditions that allow people with back pain to sleep on the floor because there is no guarantee that sleeping on the floor will help your back pain.
- If you have severe back pain and at the same time you have an old and saggy mattress with an unsupportive bed, then you should consider sleeping on the floor, otherwise it can aggravate your back pain and bring you more miseries. So, in this case, you should consider sleeping on the floor.
- If you don’t have any issue of mobility and ability to comfortably lay down and then get up from the floor then you can try sleeping on the floor.
- If you are too much sensitive to cold and temperature, then you should avoid floor sleeping because you can get cold on it and get sick as well.
- If you are an aged person or have enough weight, which can be a barrier for sleeping on the floor and can prone to you certain risks like fractures and lead to damage to your bones, then you should not try this at home.
- If you are a pregnant women or new mom with a newborn baby, then it is advised to refrain sleeping on the floor because it can be a uncomfortable experience for you and can lead to injuries to you and your baby as well.
Sleeping On Floor Can Treat Different Medical Conditions
As we have already discussed that sleeping on the floor can help back pain which can be caused due to several reasons like sciatica, which causes severe pain in the lower back pain, buttocks, hip and a leg.
Sleeping on the floor also help in the treatment of sciatica or we can say it improves the condition of such patients as most of the orthopedic doctors suggest that sleeping on a soft surface can worse the pain caused by sciatica and stresses your muscles.
If you have this kind of medical condition, then you should consult your doctor before trying this remedy at home.
Precautions To Take While Sleeping On The Floor
- Always sleep on the neat, clean and straight floor.
- Use a mat, sleeping bag or a mattress pad on the floor and add multiple layers to sleep on the floor comfortably.
- Don’t use high pillows for sleeping on the floor as this can stress your neck
- You should try lying on your back or side to try different positions to know which one works best for you.
- Don’t sleep on bare floor and use mats, mattress or any supporting material which will make it a comfortable sleep on the floor.
If you want to sleep on the floor then you should use the following guidelines to get a comfortable sleep on the floor:
Are there any risks of Sleeping on the Floor?
If you have slept on the mattress throughout your life and going to sleep on the floor for the first time, then you may experience some sort of pain and aches in the back and the rest of the body at the start because your body has accustomed to some flexibility and need some sort of cushions to give support to our joints.
You may feel at the start that your body may experience, severity of the pain due to tight muscles which can lead to injury, disturb your nervous system, bruising and vascular damage in particular.
You may feel irritated while lying on the hard surface and it can take a little longer to make your body adapts to the floor.
Sleeping on the floor can help you to relieve your back pain to somehow to somehow, but you should also take all the precautionary measures like adding layers of support on the mattress using the mattresses or similar layers of support.
Try different sleeping positions in order to get to know which is most comfortable and workable for sleeping.
Sleep in intervals for the time and then make your habit permanently. This can be a little tough at the start, but you will then able to make it a habit regularly.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can Sleeping on the floor cause back pain?
This is not true for everyone and you may or may not feel good while sleeping. If you are not accustomed to sleeping on the floor, then you may not feel well at the start and uncomfortable while sleep on the mattress.
You may experience back pain if you are sleeping with a certain position which may become a little distressing for you and you may not feel well while sleeping on the floor.